When your tooth pulp gets infected, you need proper treatment for it. If you don’t get it at the right time, you may have to remove your infected teeth and replace them with artificial ones. Root canal therapy is a treatment for the infected pulp of teeth. It results in the elimination of infection and pain which may be due to the presence of bacteria, entrapped food, and other particles, or many other reasons.
You must have several confusions regarding this therapy. Other people too have some queries before getting therapy. Following are some of the FAQs about root canal therapy. Go through them to clear up your confusion.
How long does a Root Canal take?
The therapy doesn’t require a lot of time. The average time of the treatment is about 30 to 60 minutes. The time of root canal therapy greatly depends upon the nature of the infection.
If your tooth pulp infection is in the early stages, then therapy is performed in 30 to 40 minutes. However, in case you are having therapy on a large tooth with a high infection then you may have to wait for 90 to 100 minutes to get it treated.
How to avoid a Root Canal?
You can avoid a root canal by taking care of your teeth. You need to keep them clean and avoid infection-causing things to prevent the root canal. The following are the most common practices to avoid therapy.
- Brush your teeth twice a day so no food particles remain entrapped. Make sure to floss them as well as it is required to remove bacteria.
- Wearing a tooth guard while playing sports is necessary. It will prevent your teeth from getting damaged which will protect against the invasion of bacteria on the pulp of your teeth.
- Avoiding sticky and hard foods such as lollipops, candies, and other similar things will also be helpful in this regard.
- Don’t use a lot of ice. Extremely cold water and other drinks will directly damage your teeth.
What to eat after a Root Canal?
After getting the therapy, you can eat almost any type of food. However, it is suggested to avoid hard or chewy foods. They may affect the filling and you can observe severe pain in your teeth. You can start eating after the anesthesia effects vanished.
The best things to eat after root canal therapy are milkshakes, smoothies, and other healthy drinks. These drinks will provide proteins and nutrients to your teeth. Pudding, soups, mashed potatoes, crumbled eggs, etc. will also serve as great food after root canal therapy. You can start eating normal foods after 1 or 2 days of getting therapy.
How long is recovery from a Root Canal?
Recovery from root canal therapy is pretty quick. You will get it completed within a week. In fact, 5 to 6 days is the maximum to recover completely from a root canal. You can experience some kind of soreness for 25 to 48 hours after getting therapy. This can be overcome by the use of painkillers prescribed by your dentist. So, if you are a busy person you can have it on weekends and get fully recovered before heading to the office on Monday.
How to cure tooth infection without a Root Canal?
The therapy is for the treatment of tooth infections. But it’s not the only way to get the infected tooth treated. You can use several other methods as well. Following are some common remedies to help you cure tooth infection without a root canal.
- The first thing you have to do is to prevent your teeth from getting an infection. Maintaining good oral hygiene will do the trick for you.
- You can also use warm and salted water to clean the infected tooth. This water will help in the elimination of bacteria.
- Using toothpaste mixed with baking soda may also help in cleaning the infected tooth.
All the home remedies will stop further infections and you need filling of the infected area for a full recovery.
Still, having confusion about Root Canal treatment? Visit our dental clinic and get answers to all your queries before opting for this treatment.