Dental crowns are one of the best ways to treat damaged or weak teeth. Their use in protective and cosmetic dentistry is very common. Crowns are used to restore the natural functionality of your teeth. They also strengthen them and help them recover quickly. Apart from that, they are also used to give perfect shape to your teeth that make your smile attractive.
However, they can get stained and different particles to attach to them. Cleaning them is required to maintain good oral health. They need special cleaning to last longer. You must know how to properly clean dental crowns. We are here to assist you in this regard.
Dental Crown Cleaning Tips:
Following are the basics of cleaning your dental crowns. Pay special heed to these basics to properly clean your dental crowns at home.
Brushing is the most important part of overall dental care. You need to brush your crowns to clean them. It is suggested to brush them twice a day for at least 2 minutes. It is suggested to use a brush with soft bristles to clean dental crowns. Also, brush them with soft hands. Brushing too hard can damage your crowns. Though you can choose any toothpaste of your choice, it would be best to use one recommended by your dentists.
Flossing is the 2nd most important thing in dental cleaning after brushing. You need to floss and know how to floss properly to clean your dental crowns. Take a piece of floss, round it on your fingers, tighten by using your middle finger and thumb and then wrap it around crowns. Flossing helps in cleaning the adjustment point of crowns and removing trapped particles. Flossing must be done at least once a day. The best time to floss is after a meal or before going to bed.
Using Home Remedies
Trying different home remedies can also help clean your crowns. Following are some of the most effective remedies to clean them.
- Rinse off your teeth with slightly warm water with some salt in it. It helps in the removal of bacteria. These bacteria may not have serious impacts on crowns but can damage the natural teeth.
- Using hydrogen peroxide along with baking soda can do the trick for you. The abrasive nature of baking soda and the whitening ability of hydrogen peroxide can help you remove any stains from your dental crowns.
The best way to keep them clean is to avoid them from getting stains. You need to adopt several preventive measures to avoid staining.
- Pay heed to your eating habits. Never consume dark-colored foods continuously. Such foods include coffee, drinks, and other edibles that have a dark color. Their continuous use leaves stains on dental crowns making them look dirty.
- Don’t eat a lot of sticky foods. These foods can cling to your crowns and make them look unclean.
- Try to avoid too hot or cold foods as it is not good for your crowns. It damages the polishing of dental crowns and they lose their whiteness.
Ask Your Dentist
If you feel your crowns are not getting clean after trying the aforementioned methods, then you must ask your dentist. Your dentists can provide you with deep cleaning of crowns. However, the cleaning of only crowns is not offered by dentists. You need to opt for a complete dental cleaning to get your dental crowns clean.
Why is it Required to Clean Your Dental Crowns?
After knowing how to keep your dental crowns clean, you must know why it is required to do so. The following are the top reasons why you need to clean your crowns.
- First of all, you need to keep them clean to make your smile perfect. Stained crowns can impact your smile and you may lose your confidence as well.
- It is required to strengthen your dental crowns. Without proper cleaning, your crowns get weak and fail to perform their function.
- Proper cleaning is also required to improve the longevity of crowns.
Now you know how to keep dental crowns clean and why it is important to clean them. So, never ignore your crowns and use the above methods to clean them properly.
Read also: Alternatives to Crowns